My daughter, Rhyannon, is 4 years old. She can read like your average second grader and she rarely forgets anything. She's smart, sweet, articulate, and for the most part very polite.
My daughter can not tolerate certain textures. She can't stand mashed potatoes, eggs of any sort, mushy noodles, cereal that has been in milk too long, or anything of that consistency. She can't stand scratchy materials or socks that don't line up just right. She can not stand having her hair brushed, washed, or touched.
My daughter can't process stimuli. She doesn't know what to do with herself in large crowds, a lot of action, or loud places. She is known to spin out of control, cry, scream, cover her ears, and generally melt down completely. She is often looked at like a "bad" child in public. I get the "looks", quite often.
My daughter frequently tells us she is bad, that she has bad thoughts, that there are scary things in her head that will hurt her. She talks all the time about cartoon characters like they are her best friends, and told me today that she likes them better than her real friends. I actually understand this because her pretend friends aren't unpredictable. They don't frustrate her like other children do.
My daughter is on the autism spectrum. She was diagnosed by Tufts Medical Center (Boston University Medical Center) when she was just 2 years old. Months after her diagnosis we were advised to apply for SSI for her since there are services that she can benefit from, but only if she is receiving SSI. In just a few short weeks we will be attending a federal appeal hearing for our daughter. She has been denied 3 times, despite their own doctor stating that she is absolutely an autistic child. At this point we can only pray for them to finally approve her so she can get these benefits she so badly needs, and rightfully deserves.
Why am I posting all of this?
April is Autism Awareness month... I know anyone with a television is aware of autism. I know its been shoved down everyone's throats. So this year, I am making everyone aware of the struggles we face as parents, the struggles our autistic children face, and the way our own government overlooks or denies our children the services they need.
I love my daughter. I want what is best for her... and I will not stop fighting until she gets what she needs... one way or another.

